HARNESSING THE POWER OF TENSION
A paradoxical approach to building alliances at home, in the board room, on campus, and in communities.
By Brenda Naomi Rosenberg and Samia Moustapha Bahsoun
The world is in emotional High Red Alert. From the Red Sea to the Mississippi, headlines read: “Fear mixes with anger as Ferguson braces for more unrest,” “Holocaust fears haunt Israelis as they prepare for possible war,” “Colorado girls’ effort to join ISIS stokes fear in Muslim community,” “Rising anger over accepting Muslim refugee’s, and humiliation of not being wanted as fleeing Syrian refugee’s are being shut out of Europe.”
“WE ARE AT A CRITICAL MOMENT IN HISTORY. WE CAN CHOOSE TO SELF DESTRUCT OR CREATE NEW DISCOURSE, AND BE IN THE PRESENCE OF THE BEST OF OUR HUMANITY” -Brenda & Samia.
FRIENDSHIP & FAITH
The WISDOM of women creating alliances for peace.
Finding a good friend is hard. Preserving a friendship across religious and cultural boundaries—a challenge we all face in our rapidly changing world—is even harder. Friendship and Faith: The WISDOM of Women Creating Alliances for Peace is an inspirational call to friendship and a guidebook for taking those first big steps.
The book opens with three women, seated around a table, inviting you to join them as they talk. The women—one Jewish, one Christian, one Muslim—share from the heart about real-life issues women encounter in making new friends.
REUNITING THE CHILDREN OF ABRAHAM:
A Toolkit for Peace
Our program is a dynamic interactive multi media experience for anyone ages 12 to 120 who seeks building bridges of understanding. The tool kit includes:
- Two minute and thirty second video overview of the program
- How the concept began
- Case study
- The seven rules for peace
- The four-step healing process
- Seven steps to build community participation and outlines for meetings
- University of Michigan Dearborn Pluralism Projects’ power point slide presentation of photos of diverse individuals and faith institutions.
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor Arts of Citizenship Program pre-presentation power point on:
- The historical roots of Abraham
- Frequently asked questions
- How stereotyping leads to violence
The DVD contains the story of how Muslim, Jewish and Christian teens from Metro Detroit came together to discuss their lives, fears, and the possibility of peace through the Children of Abraham Four Step Healing Process
The Facilitator Presents the Project (2-3 hour presentation)
- Forty minute DVD of the documentary “Reuniting the Children of Abraham”
- Ten minute University of Michigan power point presentation on stereotyping
- 1-2 ½ hour interactive dialogue about the documentary and power point presentation
Additional Support Materials (on the CD)
- Guided meditation for envisioning peace
- Creating safe space … communication guidelines
- Prayers, poems and songs for Peace
Testimonials and Photos (on the CD)
- Testimonials and photos of the young actors and writers on how RTCOA impacted their lives (on the CD)
Press Coverage (on the CD)
Contact Brenda for the Following Additional Workshops:
- 60/90 minute in-depth small group dialogue about issues presented by the Project.
- “Stepping into ‘the Other’s’ Shoes” Workshop – (Half-day workshop)
- Ambassadors Program – Training of facilitators for in depth dialogue – (Full-day workshop)
- “Creating New Relationships”- full day workshop